In the 1600s as the Warrens had Royalist leanings the estate was sequestrated by Parliament but returned to the Warrens on the payment of a fine. The incumbent lost his living and it may have had a Presbyterian minister during the period of the Civil War and afterwards became run down.
When George Warren (1735 – 1801 pictured) was born Poynton was a farming community but he developed the coal mines and was responsible for the building of the turnpike road through Poynton and created cottage housing on what is now London Road North He had a new hall built and pulled down the first hall apart from the towers. He created Poynton Pool and was involved in a scheme to bring a canal through Poynton which did not materialise. He also gave land and bore the expense for a new church to replace St Mary’s Chapel. It was consecrated and dedicated to St George in July 1789. This led to the centre of Poynton being where it is today. In 1791 he bought the Worth estate from the Downes family which meant he held the significant coal measures in the area and we became known as Poynton with Worth.
George Warren’s daughter married Viscount Bulkeley and so we get the Warren-Bulkeley connection with Poynton. They did not live in Poynton but visited regularly and took a keen interest in the estate. Worth Clough, 1815 was built as industrial housing in their time. There was no direct inheritor so the estate was left to a supposed relative Lady Vernon. The connection proved to be false but it led to the Vernon ownership of Poynton for nearly 100 years.